While an addiction of a sexual nature can occur in both men and
women, single or involved with a significant other, particularly a spouse, this
program is specifically designed and effective for married men. There are two
reasons for that focus. First, we have had the most success over a period of
more than two decades treating married male addicts. Second, her pain follows a
known, predictable course ...eventually leading to a divorce or a resurgence of
trust in her partner.
The treatment program at the Sex Therapy Center of Orange County is intense. The
successful outcome depends on a few critical components. These are:
- Working as a team, the therapist will guide you, while it is the
addicts responsibility to follow through, 100%, on all daily recommended
- It is usually important that the injured spouse be part of the
therapeutic team, especially during the initial evaluation appointment, to
provide historical information and current status as to the addicts
behavior, and to understand the Sexual – Pornography addiction therapy
process and its effect on the relationship.
- The sexual or pornography addicted male must completely own up to the
fact that he put his wife's emotion well being at great risk, in exchange
for his immediate gratification.
- The therapy process includes providing known, working tools to stop
the offending behavior; the reduction and eventual elimination of the
impulses; and understanding / integrating the causality of the addictive
behavior as an insurance policy to prevent recidivism and eventual
repetition of the offending behavior.
- Part of the therapy process involves reeducation of one's emotions and
positive behavioral changes.
- There will be daily contact with your therapist. This includes voice
and email communications.
- The addicted person must be 100% committed to the program in order for
it to work. Such commitment includes behavioral and emotional changes
outside the therapy setting.